Probiotics are good bacteria which are found on the digestive tract. Their main purpose is to help in absorption of food and fight harmful bacteria which may cause infections. Probiotics can be found in food, supplements and on products applied topically. People who lack adequate amounts of these good bacteria usually have a weak immune system and are prone to get infections, suffer from colds and flu frequently and suffer from digestive disorders.
Causes Of Inadequate Probiotics In The Body
There are many reasons why people today do not have sufficient amounts of this good bacteria in the body. Some of them include:
– Consuming foods with high amounts of antibiotics. Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria in the body
– Consuming too much sugar
– Frequently consuming prescribed antibiotics
– Emotional stress
Benefits Of Probiotics
Scientific studies have shown that probiotics are very important in the human body. Some of these benefits include:
– They boost the immune system. This ensures the body successfully fights off certain diseases naturally without the help of medication. They also prevent you from frequent bouts of illnesses
– They fight irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
– Treatment of urinary tract infection (UTI)
– Maintenance of vaginal health. Good bacteria help prevent yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis
– Successfully fights diarrhea in children
– Prevent and treat allergies such as hay fever and eczema
– Prevent oral health problems including periodontal disease and tooth decay
– Stimulate production of vitamin B12 which increases energy in the body
Other scientific research is being conducted to discover more benefits of probiotics in the body
Safety Of Probiotics
There are many types of probiotics. Some of the most researched good bacteria include Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. Very little information is known concerning the safety of other types of bacteria but research is still being conducted. In healthy people, it is safe to take probiotics. Rarely are side effects experienced and even if they are, they are not serious. One of them is gas.
People who have just undergone surgery, those critically ill and those with weak immune systems may suffer serious side effects. That is why it is usually recommended to consult your health care professional before taking any supplements containing probiotics or following a probiotic diet. Women who are pregnant or nursing should also consult their doctor to ensure the safety of the child is guaranteed.
How you consume the probiotics is also important. Taking too much of it within a short period of time can cause diarrhea. Hence, it is recommended that you start with small amounts and if need be, you can increase the dosage in future with the guidance of your health care professional.
Maintain Sufficient Probiotics In The Body
One of the most effective ways of ensuring you have sufficient amounts of good bacteria in the body is by avoiding anything that depletes them. This includes:
– Avoiding sugar
– Avoiding GMO foods
– Exercising or performing any other activity that relieves emotional stress
– Avoid using antibiotics unless it has been prescribed. Even if it is prescribed, take sufficient amounts of probiotics once you complete your dose. Your doctor can guide you to know what to take and in what amounts.
– Eat organic foods
Another way of maintaining healthy amounts of good bacteria is by consuming foods and drinks that contain such bacteria. Some examples are natural yogurt, raw cheese, miso soup, kefir, natto and dark chocolate among others
Consuming probiotic supplements is another way to boost the amount of good bacteria in the body. It is important to be informed about the different types of supplements available. Since there are several types of probiotics and may have different functions, it is wise to consider what problem you want the supplement to treat so that you can know which ingredients to look for in the supplement. You can learn a lot more about probiotic supplements and its benefits in the following webpage: https://supplementpolice.com/health-guides/probiotics/
Some supplements aid in fat burning, others boost the immune system while others aid digestion. Some of the factors to consider before buying a supplement include:
1. Diversity of Strains
A good supplement will have between 10 to 30 different strains of probiotics
Fresh supplements are better since the fresh bacteria in the supplement will be more effective in the body
Avoid supplements with added sugar since this kills good bacteria
Buy the supplements from a reputable brand. Supplements from unpopular brands may be of low quality thus ineffective.